Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Underdressed

I came to Europe looking to experience new cultures. On Thursday, July 9th, that’s exactly what I did. The culture or “scene” I encountered permeates not only Florence, but other major European cities, and even America. Fashion. It drives everything from the Armani stores to the street vendors; $120,000 dresses to $5 designer chocolate. Apparently, I didn’t know the rules.

I left the apartment in my white polo, blue plaid shorts, and reef sandals. I felt pretty fashionable (besides our Italian guide’s comment: “we don’t wear undershirts beneath polos in Italy”).

Enter Nick Verreos: our Sherpa for the oncoming Mount Polimoda. Suddenly, I am highly underdressed.

Nick, of Nikolaki, Project Runway… and the fashion world in general, arrived decked out. Silvershoes, jeans, button down shirt, green tie (with matching green hand bag), silver aviators, and a fauxhawk.

My first impression of Nick: he’s confident, personable, and highly qualified for his job. Intentionally or not, he’s a crowd pleaser. With the majority of the group hanging onto his every word, it was hard to miss “…Shut uupp!... Oh, and remind me to tell you all about Heidi [Klum] later…” Unfortunately, this warranted a “shush, you” from Dr. Bernheim as he was trying to get our attention. Not one to be deterred, Nick’s was the dominating voice of the Miami in Florence group for the rest of the day.

In fact, during our Polimoda visit, it was hard to get in a word edgewise. Nick’s enthusiastic back and forth banter with the instructor made his knowledge of the business quite clear. The look on the professor’s face spelled relief when any students interrupted Nick’s torrent of questions and comments. I laughed to myself: was this “expert” nervous that Nick might catch her without an answer? Eventually her salvation arrived as the marketing professor took over.

Later that evening, Nick made a presentation at the Gould; a colorful powerpoint that led us through his education, career, and entrepreneurial pursuits. I was not expecting the story he told. Entering the trade took much more than heading to the local fashion show and checking in. He chronicled the process of building his reputation. Just as in any self run business, success grew out of failures. From the past to the present, his accomplishments are impressive. Nick has worked with several big name celebrities and high end stores. He was always excited to tell of experiences with Tila Tequila or the playboy girls, but no one mistook his excitement for bragging.

After his speech, I shook hands with Nick and thanked him for coming; he was genuinely appreciative of the Florence invitation. I have no doubt he enjoyed his stay in the fashion capital of Italy. I know we all enjoyed his animated personality. Upon departure, one thing was for certain: he had no shortage of friends among our Florence group.

1 comment:

  1. Mike,
    Nice diary entry here, with some pithy context about fashion's business side and prescient observations about a colorful personality.
    You show your great sense of humor very naturally in your writing.
    There's a bit of "telling," versus "showing" the reader through examples, scenes and description. You'll need to work on that.
    Of course, the best journalistic goals to set are to take yourself out of the story (goodbye "I" "I" "I") and steer clear of chronological storytelling for an event such as this.
    Just some things to polish, because you have a strong writing voice and eye for detail.

    ReplyDelete