Thursday, July 2, 2009

Chicago to Florence: A Journey of Food

After the “Last (American) Supper”… Turkey, potatoes, gravy…etc., I wondered what cuisine awaited across the Atlantic.

The real surprise was airplane food; not so much the quality, but rather its presence in itself… no one serves food on planes these days. Confirmation that Lufthansa is a German airline came quickly. After the indecipherable PA chimed off, my pretzels arrived labeled “upgrade your snack: enjoy the taste of WARSTEINER – the premium German beer.”

Meals left something to be desired, but I was glad to have anything. I couldn’t help but wonder what I would be eating had we departed from Munich rather than O’hare. Will the Sky Chef selection be something other than chicken, rice and cheddar cheese on the way home?

Munich/“Munchen” airport: So now coke is an import, bottled in Zurich (3.50 Euro was my first hint). Anna found ice cream. I don’t know if she’s coming home.

Side note: the Munich airport has nicer clothing stores than any American mall.

Florence: We’re here, and I’m glad the chefs are more skilled than the drivers (or our food would be sub-par). Pasta, bread, stuffed peppers and more. All excellent. We haven’t even eaten at a restaurant yet, but our dorm meals have been excellent. Anna found the “gelateria” and I think that’s her plan to balance out the calorie burning walks through the city. My choice was “un panino de prosciutto e formaggio,” an excellent ham and cheese sandwich from a street vendor.

More food to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment